Monthly Archives: October 2016

It all went Side ways

plaid-placketSo this last couple weeks I’ve been working on what should have been a slightly challenging but not impossible shirt. A daughter saw a lovely aqua, green, red and black even plaid flannel to make a perfectly unexceptional shirt out of which I decided to make as I have been fighting with another shirt project and was tired of muslins after 5 of them.

Fitting went well, layout was OK. Can’t recut although I should have put the dark stripe down the center back but OK. Carefully marked all the right sides (you really can’t tell on this fabric except one side is fuzzier). Can’t recall all the ways this project went side ways but every sitting ended when I had made 3 serious rip it out and try again/cut again type errors. Fortunately I had an extra yard.

This week I was down to sleeves, cuffs and plackets. Got the plackets on the sleeves very carefully Monday (only had to recut twice for plaid mis-match). When I sewed the sleeve wrong sides together I decided to stop. Fixed sleeve Wednesday. Decided to go with planned flat felled seam. And it went fairly well although Thursday I was surprised to learn that I had felled on the inside but no matter. Did up the side seams and serged them.

Next step cuffs at which time I discovered the plackets are wrong. But no they can’t be I was so careful…nope, I put the sleeves in backwards!

To be continued another day.

More on (not) being perfect

Last night while I wasn’t sleeping I got to thinking about the importance of failing, not even big catastrophic failures but the little ones. If you look back and don’t see failures there hasn’t been enough trying in your life. You are living way to safely.. I am living way to safely. In fear of failure or even of not succeeding perfectly there are to many things I don’t try. As a crafty person there should be a lot of what in the sewing world are called wadders and there are not! There are shelves of project materials that have never become the things they were meant to be. Some in the last move went to new and hopefully more daring homes as I realized that however adventurous I became this project wasn’t happening … gone soap and candle making. But there are still so many projects waiting.

I failed to post this when I wrote it last year… (could it be a lack of daring, possibly not perfect).

There have been many projects since then; 24 in the last year! And that is only sewing. Next up It all went side ways…

 

Edwardian Jacket

frock_coat_f

This is a constructed Edwardian style jacket made for a Edwardian Ball event.  The outer fabric is a upholstery brocade, while the lining and vest are polyester.  The internal structure is hand done in the traditional tailor fashion. This involved hours of pad stitching needed to shape the internal structure of a man’s coat  Construction time was approximately 80 hours. It was a fabulous learning experience and directly influenced the Sari Jacket I made the next year for myself.